Why Do Many Homeowners Opt for Installing Flat Pack or ‘Do It Yourself’ (DIY) Kitchens?
Flat pack or DIY kitchens are slowly becoming more and more common across Australia. The reasons behind their immense popularity are not hard to ascertain. Increasingly, homeowners are looking for ways to renovate their kitchens without having to face any disruptions to their daily routines. Having builders and workers walking in and out of the house all day long can be quite tiresome. In addition, setting up a makeshift kitchen in another room in the house is not easy. In many cases, it might not be practical either. In this scenario, flat pack kitchens are perhaps, the best solution. They permit homeowners to renovate their kitchens cheaply. In addition, despite being very affordable, flat pack kitchens do not compromise on quality.
Many homeowners like their kitchens to look unique. Flat pack kitchens score on this aspect as well. As mentioned earlier, flat pack kitchens involve the manufacturers creating all the components of the kitchen based on your requirements. As such, it is a given that the flat pack kitchen you receive will be unique. This is especially so because the manufacturers will have tailored each component to your needs and specifications. Besides this, flat pack kitchens come in a diverse range of designs. In many cases, flat pack kitchens come in an assortment of colours and materials. But, these do not serve to limit your choice in any way. Some manufacturers even provide functional add-on accessories such as pull-out shelves and drawer inserts. These can make it even easier to work in the kitchen. People with awkward shaped kitchens usually opt for custom designed flat pack kitchens. These kitchens utilise the space available effectively, while exuding a stylish and aesthetically appealing look.
Across the country, homeowners are succumbing to the charms of flat pack kitchens because these kitchens:
- Are High in Quality: Some people feel that flat pack kitchens are cheap and tacky. But, this is not true. Flat pack kitchens are undoubtedly affordable. But, they don’t compromise on quality in any way. Manufacturers use quality materials for constructing cut to measure cabinetry in Seventeen Mile Rocks and the adjoining areas. As such, when you install these kitchens, they are in no way inferior to professionally installed kitchens.
- Offer Flexibility: Homeowners have different tastes and preferences. As such, a ‘one size fits all’ approach will hardly appeal to them. Flat pack kitchens come in a wide range of standard sizes. They come in a diverse range of materials, colours and finishes too. So, you can give your kitchen any kind of look that appeals to you – ranging from the classic to the ultramodern. And, if you require a custom designed kitchen, manufacturers will be able to provide this as well.
- Are Cost Effective: Flat pack kitchens give homeowners ample choice. This is not merely in terms of the designs, materials or finishes they come in. With flat pack kitchens, homeowners could consider purchasing a whole new kitchen. Or, they could also purchase a few cabinets at a time, based on their needs. Not everyone can afford purchasing a new kitchen upfront. For these individuals, upgrading their kitchen over time is preferable and convenient. Moreover, flat pack kitchens are much cheaper than professionally designed and installed kitchens. As a result, without having to compromise on quality, you could save thousands of dollars by purchasing a flat pack kitchen.
- Are Easy to Assemble: Assembling flat pack kitchens does not require you to hire professionals. As such, you could save some more money by assembling the kitchen on your own. Manufacturers pre-cut to size all the panels, doors and drawers. They also provide all the necessary bolts, screws and other fittings. So, all you need to do is to follow the instructions given in the manual for assembling the kitchen. In most cases, installing a flat pack kitchen will not take more than 48 hours. It is worth mentioning though that you will need a licensed plumber and electrician for installing any wiring or plumbing. And, if you’re replacing your kitchen, you will need to remove the old kitchen too.
Is it Beneficial to Purchase and Install a Flat Pack Kitchen?
For the uninitiated, flat pack kitchens come in a diverse range of designs, materials, colours and finishes. They come in a range of sizes as well. For some homeowners, it is sufficient that they receive all the components from the manufacturer so that they can install their kitchen themselves. This can yield additional savings as well. This is particularly so because you will not require professional assistance for installing the kitchen. In some cases, people might be on a budget. In this case, they can opt to upgrade their kitchen gradually. So, they can simply replace and install cabinets based on their immediate needs.
When it comes to kitchens with awkward shapes, standard flat pack kitchens might not be ideal. But, many manufacturers offer custom designed flat packed kitchens in the Western Suburbs and other places. Some manufacturers even offer various accessories with their flat pack kitchens. These accessories could comprise drawer inserts and pull-out shelves etc. With these additional accessories, working in the kitchen could become even easier. Given this backdrop, it becomes easy to understand why flat pack kitchens are increasingly coming into vogue.
One of the biggest advantages that flat pack kitchens offer is that they come in both standard and custom sizes. This means that you will easily be able to obtain benchtops, cabinets etc. that fit perfectly in the space available in your kitchen. In addition, flat pack kitchens do not restrict you in terms of choice either. You can select flat pack kitchens of all shapes, sizes and designs. With flat pack kitchens, homeowners can obtain the flexibility they seek.
In terms of cost, flat pack kitchens are immensely more affordable too. Having a professional design, build and install your kitchen could cost you thousands of dollars. This does not include the inconvenience that you’ll typically need to go through when you have workers on your property. In contrast, flat pack kitchen manufacturers will create the kitchen in their facilities. Thereafter, you can hire them to install the kitchen or consider doing it yourself. In either scenario, flat pack kitchens will fit easily into your budget. More importantly, you will not need to compromise on the quality of the kitchen or on the features that you need as well.
Installing a professionally designed kitchen can increase the costs of your kitchen renovation. In contrast, you could simply opt to install your flat pack kitchen by yourself. Suppliers of flat pack kitchens do not only provide all the components and the fixtures that you’ll require. They will give you a detailed installation manual as well. So, as long as you can use some basic tools, you will be able to install your flat pack kitchen with minimal fuss. It is worth mentioning that suppliers cut and finish flat pack kitchens to precision in their facilities. As such, you will invariably end up with a finish that compares favourably with a professionally installed kitchen.
How Much Do Flat Packed Kitchens Cost in Jindalee and Other Places?
A flat pack kitchen could cost you anything from $2,500 to $10,000. This estimate could vary based on the size of the kitchen and the manufacturer that you select. Many homeowners simply select the first supplier of flat pack kitchens that they come across. This might not be a great move. Instead, you should always obtain at least three to four quotes before you select a flat pack kitchen manufacturer. This would enable you to compare prices, the quality of work and the levels of service among various flat pack kitchen manufacturers.
The cost of a flat pack kitchen will depend on the following factors:
- The number of cabinets you require
- The size of the cabinets (depending on the height, width and depth you choose)
- The finish you select for the cabinet fronts and,
- The type of hardware (such as drawer runners, handles and hinges) that you opt for
In many cases, suppliers price flat pack kitchens based on the number of cabinets you need. This is because each drawer, cabinet and cupboards has its own specific price. So, you will need to determine the number (and the kind) of cabinets you require. Some of the most common varieties of cabinets that people opt for include:
- A drawer cabinet
- A fridge cabinet
- Overhead cabinets
- A sink cabinet
- Base storage cabinets
- Corner cabinets and,
- A pantry
Flat pack kitchen cabinets come in a variety of standard widths. But, if needed, suppliers will also be able to provide cabinets with custom widths. After selecting the cabinets, you’ll need to consider the kind of door hinges and drawer runners you need. Some people prefer metallic drawers and cut to measure cabinetry in Seventeen Mile Rocks and other places. Others prefer storage racks in their pantries in addition to cutlery trays. Some additional costs that you might incur when installing a flat pack kitchen could include:
- The appliances e.g. the microwave, the sink, the taps, the fridge, the range hood etc.
- The splashbacks
- The flooring
- The electrical work
- The plumbing and,
- The painting
It is worth highlighting that the style of doors and the drawer fronts that you select could exert a considerable influence on the cost of your flat pack kitchen. Drawer fronts made of timber and two-pack polyurethane will be quite expensive. In contrast, melamine fronts will be quite inexpensive. Similarly, the type of benchtop that you select will be another factor that affects the overall cost of your flat pack kitchen. Some flat pack kitchen manufacturers will not supply all kinds of benchtops. So, you might need to find a benchtop supplier. In many cases, it might be worthwhile letting the benchtop supplier install the benchtop rather than doing it on your own.